There isn't a lot to report on for the $100 Challenge this week. I still have the media audience access available that I wanted and I was supposed to contact the businesses this week; but things got really swamped.
One part of the lesson this week was on suggestive selling. Having been in retail for about four years, reading about it was like reading about personal habits. The way we phrase sentences and how we present product makes all the difference in the world to our customers. Plus, it's everywhere - restaurants, retail, online bundling purchases, carpet cleaning, grocery stores, home decor - they all present their projects to maximize purchases. I had an experience one time when I was working at a major department store and I told my manager, "I don't want to push things on them if they are just going to bring it back." Her response to me was enlightening; she said, "Don't worry about the store losing sales by having customers return items. Our job is to help them take it home. That's more than half the battle." Not only did it show better numbers for the sales day, but even if the customer returns the item - it's another opportunity because they are already back in the store.
We also practiced our elevator speeches and discussed improvements on them with our classmates. At first I thought the directness of the speech would come naturally, but it took me several tries to get one that I liked and felt like I could present well.
No comments:
Post a Comment