My first suggestion to anyone wanting to try something new is to have a clear vision of what you want to do. This took me a while to grasp, but once I was able to clearly communicate my vision, I was able to tell them how my business would help theirs. Granted, I have yet to make money on this idea - but I feel like because of the positive results with the business I'm working with - I feel like if I started talking with larger companies in a bigger area, I'd be able to monetize my efforts. I used my small town as sort of proof of concept.
The second thing I learned is that things take time and things come up with take even more time. For example, I had to go to surgery (unexpectedly) and that took almost a full two weeks out of the time that I could have been working on finishing this project. I also had to schedule around the models and photographers time tables.
In one of the reading activities we've done for this class, we talked about being a consultant for a business. I felt that working through this project I became a consultant for the business owner I was working with. It felt like she hadn't changed anything about her store in about 30 years. When I mentioned changing one thing that didn't have to do with my project - I could feel the wall coming up in her countenance. Towards the end of my project, she got to talking with me about what I'm going to do with my major. I told her my plans and she finally said, "You know, you should buy my store when you're done." The thought has been running across my mind since she said it. It's really amazing what doors open up when you make good impressions on people.




.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment